2012 is now four days behind us, and while many Tweeted and Facebooked that they were glad to see it go, there were moments throughout 2012 that made it a great year. Here are 50 fun and fabulous events not to forget.
1. Barbra Streisand went Back to Brooklyn.
2. Binders full of Women.
4. Kylie Minogue celebrated 25 years in the music business.
5. Rachel and Kurt take New York in the fourth season of Glee; Sara Jessica Parker sings “Let’s Have a Kiki.”
6. P!nk scored her first number one album with The Truth About Love.
7. Madonna, Niki Minaj, and Lady Gaga all released fragrances.
8. Jessica Lange as Sister Jude in American Horror Story: Asylum. (On your knees and pray.)
9. Adam Levine on the Voice; Britney Spears on the X Factor.
10. Project Runway turned 10!
11. Mika officially came out and helped the whole world “Celebrate.”
12. Tim Gunn’s Fashion Bible.
13. Chick-fil-A Hates the Gays, but President Obama Loves the Gays.
14. President Obama was reelected; Big Bird’s job was saved!
15. Cher released the first new single, “Woman’s World,” off her upcoming album.
16. Bret Easton Ellis’ late night twitter rants and not so DMed attempt to score coke via tweet.
17. Regarding Warhol: Sixty Artists, Fifty Years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art; Cindy Sherman at MoMA; Maurizio Cattelan: All at the Guggenheim.
18. JK Rowling released her first non-Harry Potter novel, The Casual Vacancy.
19. Fifty Shades of Grey. (Ouch!)
20. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises; Anne Hathaway as Fantine in Les Misérables; Anne Hathaway.
21. Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor in Liz & Dick on Lifetime.
22. The premier of The New Normal and Nashville; the return of Happy Endings and Revenge. (Well played, Emily Thorn. Well played.)
23. Honey Boo Boo says, “Ain’t nothin’ wrong with bein’ a little gay. Everybody’s a little gay.” (Too right, too right.)
24. The Supreme Court decided to take on Gay Marriage.
25. Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson; Eminent Outlaws by Christopher Bram; and How to be Gay by David Halperin.
26. William and Kate announced a new Royal is on the way. (God Save the Fetus!)
27. Madonna’s MDNA World Tour. (All hail the Queen.)
28. Anderson Cooper is, in fact, a homosexual.
29. Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani win DWTS-All Stars. (It’s about time.)
30. Oraquick hits the market making private, at home HIV testing finally available.
31. “Gangnam Style.”
32. Ryan Lochte, Tom Daley, and the rest of the hotties on the Men’s Olympic Swimming and Diving Teams. (Let’s get soaking wet.)
33. The 1D explosion. (They’re not just for tween girls anymore.)
34. The return of Dallas. (Commence humming the theme music.)
35. Kara Laricks won the first season of NBC’s Fashion Star.
36. Jessica Simpson finally had her baby.
37. Justin Bieber turned 18. (Allegedly.)
38. Meryl Streep won her third Oscar for The Iron Lady.
39. iPhone 5.
40. Adam Lambert hosts VH1 Divas.
41. In Vogue: The Editor’s Eye on HBO (Hey, Anna Wintour, “Strike a Pose.”)
42. Katie Couric returned to daytime television.
43. Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln. (We still like her; we still really, really like her.)
44. Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her Diamond Jubilee for 60 years on the throne.
45. “Call Me Maybe.” (Um, here’s my number?)
46. Channing Tatum is the Sexiest Man Alive!!!
47. Madonna preformed at the Super Bowl Halftime Show; brought in more viewers than the actual Super Bowl. (I think the Giants won.)
48. Rosanne Barr ran for President of the United States; received almost 50,000 votes and counting.
49. Gabby Douglas took home Olympic Gold.
50. The it’s- so-bad-it’s-so-good first season of NBC’s SMASH!